After a day’s yoga and surfing, there’s nothing better than a hearty home-cooked meal to satisfy your appetite. Luckily for our guests, our in-house chefs treat them to delicious food every day that nourishes the body, as well as celebrates the Moroccan heritage. Each of our locations, as well as L’Auberge restaurant and Cafe Mouja, have their own wonderful and unique recipes that bring people back time and time again!
Today we’re sharing our Baghrir recipe – a popular breakfast item often served at Amouage and Villa Mandala. It’s a traditional Moroccan dish that’s commonly known as “1000 holes pancake”. They’re vegan and low-fat, plus their ‘thousand’ holes make it perfect for drizzling your favourite spread, like our amazing Sweet Orange Blossom sauce.
Take a look at this simple yet delightful pancake recipe to wet your Moroccan appetite (and all in traditional Moroccan measurements for added fun!).
(exact measure important for results!)
1 glass all-purpose flour
3 glasses fine semolina
4 glasses warm water
2 teaspoons fast-active yeast
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon oil
Sweet Orange Blossom Sauce (to taste)
1 teaspoon salted butter
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon orange blossom water*
Orange and lemon rind (optional)
*If you don’t have orange blossom water, orange blossom honey is just as good!
1. Add all the ingredients to the water
2. Blend everything for 5 minutes on a low speed
3. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes until the batter has bubbles
4. Line a non-stick pan with the oil and heat up for 2 minutes over a medium temperature
5. Once the pan is warm, reduce to a low heat and add one ladle of batter into the pan
6. Leave to cook (and watch the 1000 holes appear!) for 3-4 minutes until there are no more wet patches
7. Make your Sweet Orange Blossom sauce by adding the ingredients to taste. Start with the above quantities then build up to your taste!
8. Drizzle over the warm pancakes and enjoy!
Taste our recipes yourself by booking one of our package holidays and enjoy our special home-cooked meals!
And keep up to date with all of our news and special offers by subscribing to our newsletter below.